Monday, May 25, 2009 Monday, May 25, 2009

Shakoy



PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket


Shakoy anyone? I have been craving for these street goodies for a long time now but just too lazy to make one. Shakoy or butsi or whatever names you call them is one of my favorite snacks back in the Philippines. It’s cheap and available anytime kahit hating gabi. I remember when I was little (little pa rin naman ako), iyong isang kapit bahay namin, araw-araw naglalako ng butsi o shakoy every afternoon. I just loved her shakoy because she put a lot of sweetened coconut filling inside. I think shakoy was like 50 cent (PHP) each that time. I love shakoy and I could probably eat them everyday.

I have researched and asked the recipe of this heaven goodness but unfortunately I can‘t find any decent one. Just make sure to consume your shakoy at once because it will get harder on the following day for some reasons.


SHAKOY or Butsi

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp rapid rise yeast
½ tsp salt
Water enough to make soft dough
1 cup oil
½ cup white sugar


Preparation

1. In a bowl, mix flour, salt and yeast.
2. Add enough water and mix thoroughly to form soft dough.
3. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead. You need dough smooth and not sticky.
4. Place dough into bowl, cover with damp cloth. I place my dough in the oven with light on.
5. Let it rise for 1 hour or until the size is doubled.
6. Punch down dough, knead on a floured surface and form into a log.
7. Cut into pieces, 1-1/2 inches long.
8. Roll each piece into a long stick as thick as your finger.
9. Twist.
10. Place it on the baking sheet, cover with damp cloth, and let it rise for another hour.

After an Hour:

1. Heat oil in a deep pan. I used wok! If you have a fryer the better.
2. Drop shakoy one at a time.
3. Cook each side until brown.
4. Drain, and sprinkle with sugar.

1 comments:

May 27, 2009 at 6:52 PM

ayayay!!! ka-lami ba ani oi. di ko palabot, naglaway na ko diri! hahaha! magluto unya ko puhon ani ug makalugar ko. mangopya ko sa imong recipe lutch ha? :)