Sunday, June 07, 2009 Sunday, June 07, 2009

WHEAT PANDESAL



CLICK TO ENLARGE

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket



PhotobucketPhotobucket


Pan de sal? I surfed the net of its meaning and this what wikipedia said: Pandesal (Spanish: pan de sal, literally "salt bread") is a rounded bread usually eaten by Filipinos during breakfast.[1]. It is bread made of flour, eggs, lard, yeast, sugar, and salt. It has a soft, powdery texture and is eaten in a number of ways combined with numerous sandwich spreads. It is also used for dipping into tsokolate (chocolate), a chocolate drink very much like hot chocolate but with pure cocoa as its main ingredient. Despite the literal meaning of its name, the taste of pandesal varies from bland to slightly sweet. It usually costs one Peso (about 4 cents U.S.), with larger varieties costing 2 Pesos.

The last time I had Pandesal was three years ago when I visited the Philippines. This bread is always one of my favorite breads. It is the most popular bread in the Philippines. I grew up in a place that surrounded by bakeries so I never learn how to make it. Pandesal that just came out from the oven is always the best. I like it with butter, margarine, corn beef or just plain.

Oh! I made my very first pan de sal using bread machine for the dough. I just love my BM to the mixing, kneading and rising. It’s a lot faster, less messy and convenient for me. I have all kind of pandesal recipes but because I don’t have most of the needed ingredients, I did the tweaking once again and came out with this recipe.


WHEAT PANDESAL


Ingredients:

2/3 cup milk
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp butter, cubed
1 tsp salt
1 cup bread flour
2 cups wheat flour
1 Tbsp sugar
Italian bread crumbs - for coating
1 packet active dry yeast
PROOF YEAST- in a bowl, add 1 teaspoon sugar to ¼ cup warm water (100° to 110°F). Sprinkle yeast; let stand for 10 minutes until it foams.

Preparation

1. Add ingredients to bread machine pan following the manufacturer suggestion.
2. Set the bread machine to dough cycle and press start.
3. Wait for the dough cycle to complete. It took me at least 1 hour to 30 minutes.
4. When the dough is ready. Unplug your BM and take the pan out.
5. Grease your hand with cooking oil.
6. Punch the dough down until it deflates.
7. Lay the dough on the prepared greased surface and stretch to make a log.
8. Squeeze the dough gently to release some trapped air.
9. Cut the log into two and sprinkle it with bread crumbs. I used Italian bread crumbs.
10. Using a dough cutter, cut logs into pieces (1 to 1-½ inches).
11. Roll each piece to bread crumbs to coat all sides.
12. Place pieces on greased (I used olive cooking spray) baking pan, with the cut side up 1 inch apart.
13. Cover with clean damp cloth and put it inside the oven with the light on. Let it rise for about 30 minutes.
14. Take it out.
15. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
16. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
17. Let Cool and enjoy with your favorite fillings.

I made 18 pieces of Pandesal. It was crunchy in the outside and soft in the inside. .At first, I never thought its going to work out because I was not using BM yeast and all bread flour but hey! It turns out really good, more than I expected. The recipe was very easy and fast. Just follow the steps and you will have a delicious and healthy pandesal in no time.

0 Comments On "WHEAT PANDESAL"